This page does not offer links for free computer protection / maintenance products. ACK Computing makes no claim for any of these products. In other words browse at your own risk, read all the disclaimers before you act and at all times practice safe computing. The software referenced below is not the only “Freeware” protection available off the internet and new software becomes available periodically !
If it is free you may still be asked for an e-mail address BUT being free, you should never be asked for money. The annoyance of much of the Freeware products out there is that the vendor has probably bundled the software with other “Freeware” that you most likely do not want.
* Two virus protection programs running at the same time is not recommended as they will sometimes fight with each other.
Bad things get into your computer from a lot of sources not the least of which is e-mail. Clicking on certain web sites, downloading content from “file sharing” links such as YouTube & FaceBook, or loading anything “pirated” or otherwise shared, should be approached with caution. Be aware and beware, there is more to this computer stuff then just pointing and clicking!
Be aware that to much protection can cause conflicts
- Do not run Norton and McAfee together, for instance
- Norton and McAfee are internet protection vendors
- Many internet providers give home users virus protection. TDS, for instance provides its clients with a version of “F-Secure”.
- E-mail providers often provide spam protection and anti-virus protection
- Even if you are currently paying for anti-spy/virus protection, the monthly “on demand” running of one or more of the free products is a smart idea - just be aware that a good Spyware tool will detect other Spyware tools, so read the “findings” before deleting all the bad stuff your protection finds
It is HIGHLY recommended that before you use the following Freeware you should open and read our Recommendation Paper - feel free to print it.